[nebulastudio-discuss] Eclipse IDE, tools, and Nebula Heirarchy Browser

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Mon May 10 23:37:42 PDT 2004

Hello Andre,

Andre Mikulec wrote:
> About two months ago I read a twiki article on something to the effect
> of a Nebula IDE being written.  I remember the article saying that
> Python was considered.
> Eclipse was thought to be a much better platform to create the IDE
> because others (IBM) would be maintaining the IDE.  The idea is that
> others (community) can write
> plug-ins for the Nebula Eclipse.
>
> About a month ago, I downloaded Java2SDK 141 and all the Eclipse zip
> downloads and all the Eclipse PDF documentation.
> I have Eclipse 212 installed.  Currently I a making my way through the
> first PDF (Plaform User - 528 pages.  I am on page 28).

We're currently using 3.0M8, 3.0 will be released fairly soon (late June).

Let me know how those PDFs are. :)  I've never read them, I just jumped
in and started using things.

> So far so good.
>
> From what I have seen from the open-source community.  Eclipse is liked a
> lot.  For instance, I JBoss plug-in exists.  A C/C++ CDT exists.
> Mozilla is planning to write a plug-in.
>
> I have seen your (Bruce Mitchner) Junit Nebula Object Heirarchy (NOH)
> Browser graphic file posted on the internet.  It looks pretty good so far.
>
> My question is as follows ...
>
> The toolset that Radon Labs CURRENTLY plans to allow free distribution,
> will this be an Eclipse/Ecliplse/plug-in?

The Radon Labs tools are something that we should clarify a bit.

First, they're tools that belong to Radon Labs and they're planning to
sell them.  They're great tools.  But at this point in time, they do a
very different set of things than what Nebula Studio would.

> Bruce Mitchner,  can you make your Eclipse NOH Browser available to
> others to develope upon?  If so, where, on the internet can it be found?

Sure.  I don't really have anything though that it is exciting.  What I
have is a quickly modified copy of one of the sample plugins that has a
tree view in it.  I modified the tree view code to instead pull its data
from Nebula.

Until a number of other things happen, it isn't very interesting.  I'll
post a short roadmap that covers what needs to happen in the first steps
shortly.

  - Bruce