Lua for MUD development was Re: [vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Wed Apr 27 18:25:40 PDT 2005

Brian Hook wrote:

 > It's basically a real language, not a "little language", that still
 > gets me out of the C++ ghetto that I so abhor.

What's wrong with C++ that bugs you so?

I've just got back the 2005 ACCU conference
(http://www.accu.org/conference/) so I'm in a pretty pro-C++ mood right
now. One common thread amongst attendees (and the great and the good)
was that C++ today is a very different real-world language than it was
5-10 years ago, and the common experience is that many have failed to
keep up with the changes.

Helpfully, there were a lot of good talks covering the latest movements
in C#, and Java, and relating them back to the state-of-the-art in C++,
or vice versa. Seemed most people at the conference were proficient in
two of the three, with experts often focussing on all three, switching
about from project to project.

I was lecturing on Security, so kind of bypassed all the language issues
:P. Although I did get asked about buffer overflows, and just gave a big
smile and said "what buffer overflows?" (oh, sorry - does your language
still allow THAT outdated bug that's still, apparently, responsible for
more than 50% of security exploits?).

Adam