[vworld-tech] ARG's ... anyone interested? 50 million hits / hour

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Wed Apr 27 13:54:08 PDT 2005

The full live system won't appear for another couple of months, but the
ARG (Alternate Reality Game ... go look up Majestic for a stunning
failure, or the Beast and Ilovebees for stunning successes [ILB won an
award at the GDC this year]) I'm working on has some pretty heavy load
to handle, and may be of interest to people here?

I can't say much about the game (grumble other depts not as good at
sticking to launch deadlines as my tech team grumble ;) ) but ARG's
generally are played simultaneously through a large number of websites,
on different servers, plus email, SMS, phone calls (game phones you),
voice mail (you phone game), etc.

Lots of things make them tricky, but the most obvious one is that your
site tends to get double-whammy slashdotted - when a new site in the
game is "discoverd" by the players advancing the game (note: in ARG's,
your 0.1m - 1m playerbase plays largely collaboratively, not
individually), it gets hit hard by the players; news-sites tend to pick
it up and run articles about the game at around the same time, and then
piggyback off each other with a few hours delay. Combined effect is many
hours of /.ing :(.

It's been fun building systems adapted to this. The simple answer to all
your problems is "caching", but there's no off-the-shelf
non-ruinously-expensive software to handle it, so it's roll-your-own
time :(.

Adam