[vworld-tech] Graphics engine question

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Fri Jan 16 01:06:51 PST 2004

Ben Garney wrote:
> Alex Chacha wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a 3D graphics engines library, written in C++ for
>> direct X that will serve as a front end to my virtual world.
>

>> Any recommendations?
>>
> If you're able to shell out the hundred bucks for a license, the Torque
> game engine, offered by GarageGames <http://www.garagegames.com> is

*inserts standard warning*

Read carefully the garagegames license, which has for years contained
some nasty "exclusivity rights" which came perilously close to "only GG
is allowed to publish your game; if GG doesn't like it, no-one else is
allowed to publish it; the royalty rate GG will charge on your game is
decided by GG ..." (NB: I don't recall the actual terms, but IIRC they
were restrictive enough that they could easily prevent you from ever
publishing the game, on a whim).

I also recall a VERY high compulsory / minimum royalty rate payable to
GG if you try and sell your torque-based game.

Fair enough, but their habit of advertising it as "only costs $99" when
in fact it always costs many thousands to commercial outfits, just in
the form of royalties, strikes many people as dishonest.

...and all this may have changed by now :), given how many people were
angry at the gulf between the marketing and the contract, so YMMV...

Adam