[vworld-tech] Graphics engine question

Ben Garney bgarney at purdue.edu
Fri Jan 16 08:56:43 PST 2004

ceo wrote:

>> If you're able to shell out the hundred bucks for a license, the
>> Torque game engine, offered by GarageGames
>> <http://www.garagegames.com> is
>

> *inserts standard warning*
>
> Read carefully the garagegames license, which has for years contained
> some nasty "exclusivity rights" which came

Actually, the license was changed a few years ago... You don't have to
pay GG anything beyond the $100. There is no first-rights clause
regarding Sierra anymore. No royalties are mentioned.. The license
explicitly says you can distribute free copies of your game any way you
please and that "On-line subscription revenue based games may be created
with the Software by the Licensee." You can publish any way you like. At
this point, the license exists pretty much to control the Torque source
code, and not much else.

FAQ:
http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=category&qid=122
License: http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/eula.php?id=1

> I also recall a VERY high compulsory / minimum royalty rate payable to
> GG if you try and sell your torque-based game.

If you choose to publish through GG, then they get royalties. I think
the going rate is something like 60-30 in the developer's favor. If you
publish somewhere else, they get nothing. If your publisher's revenue
exceeds $500k then you have to buy a commercial license from GG (the
commercial license is $10k). This is mostly to keep big companies from
licensing Torque for cheap.

Regards,
Ben Garney