[vworld-tech] Big Tin?

Brian Crowder crowder at fiverocks.com
Sun Apr 4 19:08:38 PDT 2004

We toyed with 4-way and 8-way SPARCs (and I believe 4- and 8- Pentium
hardware) on UO for a while.  My feeling was that the cost of the
hardware far outstripped the its actual value in solving the sorts of
performance issues we ran into.  We switched to dual-CPU Dell 1U
pizza-boxes and never went back, as far as I know (haven't any clue what
they run now, but I doubt it's much different).

Your mileage will certainly vary dependent upon the architecture of your
server clusters, but I think there are a lot of ways to solve scaling
and performance issues without resorting to huge machines.  Typically,
the value of switching to a mainframe architecture like that is in
resolving task communication issues (Sun and IBM both offer powerful
crossbar bussing options that simply aren't available on PC
architectures) -- issues that I believe can be resolved by other means
(like determining what you -really- need to communicate about and
restricting information sharing sanely, or making game design decisions
that reduce IPC without a great deal of visibility to your players ...
maybe you don't -need- seamless server boundaries, or maybe you don't
need all .5MB of data to "shadow" an entity to another server so that it
can be interacted with).

This massive hardware costs money...  lots of money to buy, a fair
amount of money to maintain (you might have to pay maintenance on the
OS, too...  and some OS vendors like to charge for a license per CPU),
and lots of money to rent rack-space for.  If you can find a physically
(and financially) smaller solution, I'd suggest you do it.  I don't know
if the costs on these massive machines have started to scale better
recently, but if the hardware costs twice as much, and you can only
serve an additional 50% players per CPU, it simply isn't worth it.  It
probably isn't even worth it for 100% more players per CPU.  For a 300%
improvement?  Maybe.  :)

-- Brian Crowder