[vworld-tech] Ultimate MMO Platform

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Sun Apr 4 11:21:26 PDT 2004

> From: ceo
> Alternatively, it's almost impossible to add later.
> Especially if it's
> to do with security, which is like thread-safety: either you
> build it in
> from the start, or never include it because it's going to
> cost you far
> far too much to add it retroactively. Been there, done that, was glad
> never to work for that manager ever again.

Remember, this is not a corporate venture.

I presume it's an open source type of venture.

That needs a whole different approach.

It has to be a project driven by regular, visible, useful progress.

It will be far less regular the more onerous the system requirements are.

> But...I'm one of the critics who thinks you're being very naive about
> large swathes of this, and allowing your optimism and evangelism to
> override your common sense and excuse you from being diligent.

No. I see where you're coming from, but it's not naivety, it's pragmatism.

Imagine a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court. The Yankee that is diligent will achieve less than the one that is pragmatic. It is better to get a working steam engine first and damn its dangers, than to refuse to accept a design that omits a governor.

Don't design the perfect system on day one.

I don't think it's the ultimate design we should be thinking about anyway. I think it's the road map of iterations we need to sketch out as a probable route to the ultimate design, e.g. steam engine->beam engine->internal combustion engine->locomotive->turbine->jet engine->scram jet->etc.