[vworld-tech] Ultimate MMO Platform

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Sat Apr 3 23:58:22 PST 2004

> From: Megan Fox
> Whether or not something is "solid
> business" is irrelevant for concepts like this... someone
> will eventually try it just for the sake of trying it.

Well, yes, but my point is: Is this 'Ultimate MMO Platform' one that must be a viable business proposition, or do we not care?

Are we designing the basis for a lucrative MMO Games industry, or are we creating a platform for MMO Games irrespective of whether they could make any money?

It's similar to the question of whether we're designing a video arcade game or a computer game. In the former case, we have to have a secure coin mechanism, vandal proof cabinet, design the games to tend to a maximum of a few minutes' play, ensure incentive for repeat play, make the games very approachable, etc.

I'm suggesting this issue needs to be considered prior to speccing any MMO platform as it has a major impact.

If you're like me and feel that ' "Solid business" is irrelevant', well, great let's get cracking. However, if you don't feel that way, then I think the headaches will kill the system before it leaves the drawing board.