[ENet-discuss] My ENet experience

Philip Bennefall philip at u7142039.fsdata.se
Tue Jul 6 16:42:05 PDT 2010

Hi Lee and others,

I just wanted to mention quickly that I have now made my first networked game exclusively with ENet, and I must say that I am highly impressed with the performance and stability of the whole system. I integrated ENet into my scriptable game engine, which means that it is actually a script that does all the network processing and this works flawlessly. ENet has exceeded all my expectations and a little more. As an example, I once accidentally forgot to reset the timer that controlled how often network states were sent over the connection. It took me at least 5 or 6 test runs to notice that anything was wrong, however, as ENet's dynamic throttle apparently kicked in and fixed things. Only a few times did I get a mysterious lag, which later turned out to be because of the above-mentioned reason. This only goes to show that even when the writer does stupid things like sending some 60 or 70 bytes once every 5 milliseconds which is what I ended up doing, ENet still recovers admirably. I thus want to express my sincere gratitude to Lee and any other contributors for making such an outstanding library.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall