[ENet-discuss] Packet strategy

Philip Bennefall philip at pbsoundscape.net
Fri Jul 11 15:17:36 PDT 2008

Hi Lee and the rest of the list,

I am trying to come up with the best way of handling packets for my small shooter game that I'm going to make. However, I think these concerns would apply to any kind of action game.... Basically it is this. In a perfect senario I would like every single packet to come through quickly, in the order that it was sent. Now of course, this is not possible except maybe on a private network. So I reason like this... Since reliable packets in different channels can be sent independently of each other, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a large number of channels and let the majority of them be used for transmitting reliable packets for different things? One channel for movement, another for shooting, a third for... You get the idea. That way I'll be sure that all packets will in fact be delivered, but if a packet in the shooting channel gets delayed then this still won't affect the performance of the shooting. Then of course I can have one or two channels for unreliable packets that are of low importance.

What do you say about this idea, having many channels of reliable packets rather than fewer channels with unreliable ones?

Regards
Philip Bennefall