[ENet-discuss] Connectionless data sending

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Thu Jan 1 15:19:07 PST 2004

> The problem is that it seems that I need to establish a connection
> between the server and the querying peer. It seems a little bit
> overkill: establishing the connection sending a packet, waiting for
> a packet, and then disconnecting.

Can you quantify how/why this is a problem?  I didn't think that
connections were particularly heavyweight in enet (compared to, say,
TCP).

That said, what you're describing is still pretty much the necessary
minimum to send a guaranteed packet, so I don't think there's any way
around this short of dropping to raw UDP and handling lost packets
yourself.

Brian