[ENet-discuss] Connectionless data sending

Benny Kramek benny at kramekweb.com
Thu Jan 1 14:14:50 PST 2004

Hi
I'm using enet in an open source 3d multiplayer arcade car game, called
DIE http://die.sf.net
So far it's working really great, thanks for such a great library! :)

I'm trying to add support for querying game servers, to get information
about the server, like current level, number of players, etc...

The problem is that it seems that I need to establish a connection
between the server and the querying peer. It seems a little bit
overkill: establishing the connection sending a packet, waiting for a
packet, and then disconnecting. For this situation I think it would be
enough to just have the requesting peer send an unreliable udp packet,
and then wait to recieve a udp packet back as a reply.

I really don't know much about network programming, so I could be
totally missing something :|

Any help appreciated, and thanks again for enet. It truly is a wonderful
lib. I've gotten multiplayer working faster than I expected :)

--
Benny Kramek
   http://benny.kramekweb.com
   benny at kramekweb.com