[ENet-discuss] Thinking of using Enet for my cross-platform library.

Lee Salzman enet-discuss@cubik.org
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:40:03 -0500

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 08:31:05PM -0500, James Turk wrote:
> I just discovered ENet and I am rather impressed, I am thinking of using
> Enet for my cross-platform library ZEngine, but first I wanted to ask a
> couple of things.  (Just to make it clear I would be providing C++
> wrapper classes, a ZClient and ZServer and possibly a ZPacket.)
>
> a) Is ENet stable?

    Yep, very stable. It's been widely tested and profiled. Aside from
just general documentation/site cleanups and the occasional little bug
fix, the code hasn't actually been fiddled with in ages. I still
maintain it; I just mean that it doesn't require much maintenance. :)

> b) In what way would the authors prefer me to include ENet?  Should I
> link users of my library to the ENet website, should I link them to a
> static library, or would it be ok if I simply included the ENet source
> in the source distribution of my own library (in the designated
> '/external' directory specifically for code that is not part of my
> library itself) but of course this would make my usage of ENet
> transparent to anybody who does not read the readme/copyright files.

    It's really up to you. Whatever is easiest. The protocol is stable
enough at this point that different (newer) versions should be interoperable
if you chose to include source code directly. Just make sure to distribute
the LICENSE file as comes with the code if you include it, so that the
terms of redistribution of the included code are clear.

> By the way, my library uses the BSD license, so there should be no
> concern about people interpreting your code as something which is (L)GPL
> or anything like that.
>
>       Thank you,
>             James Turk

Lee