Lua for MUD development was Re: [vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Brian Hook hook_l at bookofhook.com
Wed Apr 27 09:01:51 PDT 2005

> Interestingly, what I've seen *in practice* of Python strongly
> suggests it shares the problems you cited of Lua (to a lesser
> degree) and is also mediocre performance-wise.

I haven't seen any really quantified performance issues,  The GCLS
doesn't really count, and I rarely find that high level game logic
consumes enough cycles to worry about.

What Python offers is "the things that I liked about Lua, but with
fewer of the problems".  Specifically, more standardized/supported
packages; less "roll your own" solutions to common language
implementations such as exceptions, classes, etc; avoidance of the
whole "reading an undeclared variable just works" problem; a
debugger/editor environment; etc.

It's basically a real language, not a "little language", that still
gets me out of the C++ ghetto that I so abhor.

Brian