[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Thu Jan 22 18:37:14 PST 2004

Slight tangent:

Crap on a popsicle stick, near as I can tell I can't compile the libpq
without Cygwin, which is completely unacceptable to me (since I use
MSVC++ 6.0).  It requires .configure, and in general this isn't a
problem since the final deployment is Linux, but not being able to do
first development/debug on Windows rather blows chunks.  That's
probably enough for me to keep MySQL.

> We should probably take more detailed JS-doc/impl/embedding
> questions off-list, if you decide to go farther.  (I won't be
> personally offended or anything if you don't go with Spidermonkey,
> it just sounded like you might be avoiding something that could
> work well for you.)

Well, unless Bruce objects, I would think JS embedding is actually the
kind of thing that a lot of people here would be interested in.

Like I said, if someone is being fairly conservative, given the
information available, JS isn't much of a candidate if you're
concerned about performance, either because existing data is out of
date, inaccurate or non-existent.  I'm not close minded about it, but
when looking for docs on Ruby, Python or Lua they are far more
abundant (at least when it comes to embedding, not on the languages
themselves).

> http://www.xulplanet.com/, in case you care again in the future.

Been there, done that, didn't exactly help. =|  XUL is the
language/schema, but it's not clear what its relationship is to XPFE,
and how to embed XPFE (or even what the hell it really is).

Brian