[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Thu Jan 22 16:53:09 PST 2004

> Increased versus what, I find myself compelled to ask?

vs. the GLCS benchmarks? =)  I know, probably not the answer you
wanted to hear, but as I explained before, if I know, a priori, that
there's a reasonable chance something is going to be an order of
magnitude slower than something else, I'm not going to devote a lot of
energy on the off chance that it won't be as slow as I fear.

Look at this from the point of view of someone without much experience
with embedded scripting languages and who is choosing a language based
on a combination of performance and features.  He'll look at the usual
suspects, then examine comments/postings/articles comparing
performance, ease of use, eetc. and base a decision on that.  In the
case of Ruby, the HUGE disparity between its performance and that of,
say, Lua, was bad enough that I had to give up.  The JS stuff I looked
at pointed in a similar direction, for right or wrong.

Brian