[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Thu Jan 22 15:02:52 PST 2004

Brian Hook wrote:
> I'm more interested in how you can achieve this on the low-end.  Being
> able to construct a "mostly" redundant and fail-safe MUD server for a
> few thousand bucks would be pretty cool.  At the very least you have
> to have redundant hardware, and then software to automatically switch
> over on fail, and regular backups/mirroring from one DB to another (or
> if you want to get hardcore, just run two servers in parallel like
> mirrored hard drives).

I really mean this:

The customer service and community relations _benefits_ from a _brief_
server failure are not to be underestimated, particularly in comparison
to the costs required to avoid the outage.

We've had failures and downtimes.  They're a temporary badness, but
really, your community can come out of it loving you even more.

  - Bruce