[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Ben Garney bgarney at purdue.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:54:47 PST 2004

Brian Hook wrote:

>For a general application extension language, I think JS makes more
>sense than just about anything else simply because there are way moer
>people that know/understand JS than, say, Lua or even Python.

I actually wrote the kernel of a mud using the Mozilla JS engine. It had
multiple "rings" of  execution, taking a cue from x86 architecture, and
integrated, as I recall, the loop protection and such. Of course, I was
picky and wanted to make it break on ANY instruction when it hit its
limit... In retrospect I think I would have been fine with on-branch
checking. :)

But it was a real breeze to write the driver code in JS. I had "dummy
processes" that would get spawned per connection and talk to the core
mud code, written mostly in JS running under my kernel, so it was easy
to send data hither and thither. Perhaps not the most efficient
architecture, but definitely good for experimentation. I used IPC for
talking to the dummies - I guess in theory that would even let you
reboot the mud kernel without disturbing active connections.

If you feel a burning curiosity, I fear Sourceforge is still hosting the
source somewhere... Bear in mind the project never made it past 0.3 or
so. :)

Ben Garney