[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Thu Jan 22 14:37:44 PST 2004

> This is something that the Mozilla JS engine (distinct from the njs
> one featured in the GCLS page) has explicit support for, from its
> heritage running possibly-hostile code from the web.

As someone mentioned to me off-list, this is definitely not an
uncommon thing.  The problem is that you have to modify an
off-the-shelf language or, even worse, roll your own in order to get
this type of feature.

> I'm deeply biased, as one of the secondary authors of the Mozilla
> engine, but I know at least one MUD developer is using it to good
> success.  (He can out himself if he chooses; I know he's on the
> list.)

I seem to be in the minority for liking JS, but unless its performance
has increased significantly it may not be feasible for the level of
scalability I'd like to pursue (1000+ users -- no, I doubt I'll ever
get 1/10th that, but I'd hate to find myself locked out of scalability
because of the choice of language made early on).

For a general application extension language, I think JS makes more
sense than just about anything else simply because there are way moer
people that know/understand JS than, say, Lua or even Python.

Brian