[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Patrick Dughi dughi at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 22 14:26:26 PST 2004

> Brian Hook wrote:
>
> >I haven't seen any really good analysis of MySQL vs. postgreSQL that
> >wasn't, shall we say, biased one way or another.  The sentiment I've
> >seen is that postgreSQL is more stable but significantly less
> >documented.
> >
> >If anyone has information to offer on that, I'd love to hear it.
> >
> I found PostgreSQL a breeze to work with.  However, I work with Oracle
> every day at work, and PostgreSQL bears some similarity to Oracle.  I
> compiled, installed, and initialized a PostgreSQL Db on two of my
boxes
> (Mac OS X and Linux) without problems...
>
> I also didn't find the documentation to be deficient, really.  It
seems
> adequate... And there are good interfaces for writing stored
procedures
> in a bunch of languages including its own PL/SQL-alike language.

	Coming from a strong Oracle background, I'm going to agree with
Ryan and say that PostgreSQL is a bit more familiar than MySQL, but
really I wouldn't make a decision based solely on that.  It takes some
finagling, but you can make recent versions of MySQL work sort of like
Oracle (though some things annoy me - ability to create foreign keys,
but no actual enforcing of them is a big one in my book).

	In the end, MySQL is good for webpages and small personal
projects.  It outperforms PostgreSQL based on speed, but it's stability
in a long term environment is questionable, and I find it often shuts
down for no given reason; I end up writing an looping autorun script to
keep it live.  I don't think I've had any corruption with this, but ....

	PostgreSQL is a bit slower, a bit more limited (they used to
have a severe per-row size limit, I haven't used it since that time, but
I heard they were fixing it), and it scales better than MySQL.  You can
easily handle twice as many connections with the same system with
PostgreSQL as you can with MySQL - but they'll probably take about twice
as long to run as well.  However, PostgreSQL is relatively stable, at
least compared to MySQL, so if you had to pick between the two,
PostgreSQL might just edge out the competition.

	Depends if speed or reliability is more important, I'd guess.

	PjD