[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Ryan Daum ryan at darksleep.com
Thu Jan 22 11:43:53 PST 2004

Brian Hook wrote:

>I haven't seen any really good analysis of MySQL vs. postgreSQL that
>wasn't, shall we say, biased one way or another.  The sentiment I've
>seen is that postgreSQL is more stable but significantly less
>documented.
>
>If anyone has information to offer on that, I'd love to hear it.

I found PostgreSQL a breeze to work with.  However, I work with Oracle
every day at work, and PostgreSQL bears some similarity to Oracle.  I
compiled, installed, and initialized a PostgreSQL Db on two of my boxes
(Mac OS X and Linux) without problems...

I also didn't find the documentation to be deficient, really.  It seems
adequate... And there are good interfaces for writing stored procedures
in a bunch of languages including its own PL/SQL-alike language.

Ryan