[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Ryan Daum ryan at darksleep.com
Thu Jan 22 09:01:12 PST 2004

Just to pipe in here..

IMHO, Java remains a decent language for what it was designed for --
Internet-hosted business applications that run in a fairly restricted
environment, with garbage collection that you don't have to worry about,
a set of web-related services and libraries, application servers that
provide hosting for such services, decent database connectivity, and a
lot of third party APIs, JDBC drivers and various libraries to connect
with other similar business apps.

What it does excel at is anything that requires you do anything
non-traditional that a MOO-like MUD or an MMORPG might reuqire: handling
orthogonal persistence to something other than a relational Db, hosting
thousands of simultaneous network connections (tho with Java 1.4's NIO,
this has probably improved), writing safe runtime extensions (loading a
class into a sandbox doesn't feel sufficient for my purposes, but it may
for others).

I could be wrong, but I work in Java all day and although I like my IDE
(IntelliJ), I can't say I like the language.  At all.

There are a lot of hungry Java programmers, though, so maybe that's an
advantage to using it.  And, like Bruce mentioned, the tools are pretty
good.

Ryan