[vworld-tech] Modern MUD server design

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Thu Jan 22 08:50:52 PST 2004

Brian Hook wrote:
>>Since you mentioned java on the client-side...have you used java
>>for server-side dev before? One of the powerful features is it's
>>flexibility with classes at runtime...
>
> I've used Java in the past, but I cannot emphasize enough how much I
> dislike the language.  That's about all I'll say on THAT issue, we'll
> call it a subjective thing =)

I used to feel this way as well.

But then we needed tools for Nebula and I learned about Eclipse
(http://www.eclipse.org/) and saw that it was a great framework that
gave us a lot to build on.

So, objectively, I've come to see a lot of value in Java and have even
come to like it some.  It is definitely getting us further in creating
tools than any alternative that I had seen, largely due to the excellent
work by the Eclipse teams.  More on that some other day.

Now, if only I could get past this UnsatisfiedLinkError with some JNI
stuff that appears to be a JVM bug...

  - Bruce