[vworld-tech] Graphics engine question

Brian Popp bpopp at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Jan 21 13:25:58 PST 2004

Well, this is going to sound like back-pedaling, but I can admit when
I'm wrong. When I purchased the source a little over a year ago, I felt
the license was too restricting because it required you to market and
publish your game on the garagegames website and prohibited it from
being distributed via any other means other than a free demo (without an
expensive commercial license). They apparently changed the license late
in 2002 (conflicting remnants of this still remain in the current EULA)
and made it much less restricting. The press release describing the
change is here:

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=view&qid=3193

Now it appears that you can do whatever you want with your game as long
as you or your publisher never makes more than $500,000 in revenue. Once
that happens a $10k commercial license is required. This is much more
reasonable (in my opinion) and makes Torque a much more viable option
for indie developers. I apologize if I confused anyone.

bpopp - bpopp.net