[vworld-tech] ZeroC's ICE

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Mon Jan 19 01:41:43 PST 2004

I don't know what I really think of ZeroC's ICE yet, but they've an
article in ACM's Queue about their use of it in Wish:

   http://www.zeroc.com/acmArticle.html

I disagree with a few things in it, particularly some of their
justification for threading. (While threads are useful in some places, I
would rather see asynch I/O interfaces used more widely. And for
longer-running computations, I've been known to be a fan of a
continuation-based model.)

Their replica usage doesn't sound as nice as  some of the other existing
work out there, but the info provided isn't really detailed enough to
compare it with something like MASSIVE-3 or Quazal's products.

Anyone know anything detailed about it (or just want to get up on a soap
box about what they're doing or have done in this area)?

  - Bruce