[vworld-tech] [TECH][TOOLS] SCM systems

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Thu Jan 15 15:35:15 PST 2004

NB: probably not of interest to any individual-coders, but certainly
relevant to any dev-teams, especially if you're unsatisfied with CVS...

Has anyone tried Vesta? I'd not heard of it until today (someone sent me
a link from the upcoming CodeCon), but it looks pretty good.

For an open-source SCM it has some very cool features like:
  - uses a fn-programming language for specifying builds - none of the
farting around with inappropriate use of XML (i.e. ANT) nor of manual
hackery of simple text files (i.e. make)
  - builds are done internally by the SCM itself - so your build process
is as reproducible as your source (you "check-in" your compiler, libs, etc)
  - repository replication as standard (used for the past 3 years by
some Intel and DEC/Compaq projects for internal site-to-site
replication, apparently)
  - free :)

I've been looking to replace PerForce with something that's a little
better (not CVS-based) and doesn't cost an arm, a leg, two fingers, an
ear, three ribs... (etc) per user ($750 per user is, IMHO, shockingly high).

Since so many games-studios use PerForce, and many people on the MD list
have big corporate backgrounds I wondered if any have used Vesta, and
what they thought? We're playing with it right now, and hope to replace
our current RCS-derivative and some CVS's too with just Vesta...

Adam M