[vworld-tech] Database usage

Brian Crowder crowder at fiverocks.com
Wed Feb 11 13:36:37 PST 2004

The real question for game developers, though, is "what is the latency
of -one- transaction?".  A 200-600ms (and that would be pretty -good- in
my experience) turnaround time (plus additional time to communicate over
the network) before I can see the stats of an item in my inventory is
unacceptable.  The degree to which we cache different types of data for
the database, though, depends on what that latency demand is.  Some data
is "cached" on the client, so that it can be interacted with
near-instantaneously.  Some data is cached on the server, some data is
cached in memory by a process -near- the server (memcached? or some
custom service), some data is cached by the DB server itself, and some
data (can I get an amen?) is actually read from disk by the DB server,
before being available.

It's largely up to you to decide which is which, and how often each
"cache" is updated, as well as to decide how authoritative each cache
is.  Obviously, the client has no authority, and everyone up to the DB
server itself will have varying amounts of authority.  Often, in fact,
the DB (oracle or whatever) is probably wrong about what the state of
the world is.  The less wrong it is, the better, since it will probably
be the authority again if your game crashes.

The reason a lot of the discussion on this thread, thusfar, has perhaps
led you to think we're calling DBs ineffecient or slow is because, for
the real-time demands of a guy who needs to use his rocket-launcher to
kill a baddie or die if he's too late, a DB query to find out if he HAS
a rocket-launcher and enough ammo to use it, is unacceptably slow.
(That's an exaggeration, especially for less-twitchy RPG games, but the
parellels exist).

-- Brian