[vworld-tech] Database usage

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Tue Feb 10 10:55:11 PST 2004

> I find it annoyingly tricky to pronounce, myself :(.

Quite.

> I don't mean to be rude, but you're asking AOL-er questions here,
> and you know it.

Really, AOL-ers ask these questions?

> If you're a newbie, why don't you attempt to do some basic learning
> to bring yourself up to speed, and then come back with better
> formed questions?

You mean doing google searches on everything to do with MUD servers,
MySQL, Oracle and PostgreSQL?  I've been there, done that.  Or do you
mean like reading a book such as "PostgreSQL" by Douglas and Douglas,
which I've also done.  Or do you mean getting libpq compiled, linked
and working, which I've also done?  Or do you mean creating a database
and updating/querying it from the server, which I've also done?

> person, so I'm sure you could pick up the basics very fast, and
> then you could have a much more valuable discussion here...

Uh, yeah, I DID pick up the basics -- note that I mentioned I HAVE
ALREADY GOT IT WORKING.  I didn't ask "Hey, I don't know how to call
MySQL from my code, can someone show me how?"

I really don't think I had "newbie" questions, given that I A.)
understand the basics of databases; B.) have it working; C.) have read
the basic literature on the subject matter.

So chill the hell out.

> At the very least, you are aware of resources such as Agora, MUD-
> DEV, etc, and the extent to which google indexes such. Someone
> asking similar questions on MUD-DEV would normally be told (as
> politely as possible) to go to google first, no?

Yes, I'm aware of them, I've researched them.  Before I posted about
verb handling, I read both the Inform and HUGO manuals on how they
handled them and did basic research on how Diku's and LPC managed
them, and I had my own solution.

God forbid I used the list to ask other's their opinions on the
subject.

> This isn't the first set of such questions you've asked

And it won't be the last.  If you don't like it, feel free to filter
the results.  This list isn't just for questions YOU feel are
appropriate, and it's not just for "experts".  Yes, newbies are
expected to read up on the basic literature, but I'm confident I pass
that test.

If Bruce has a problem with my questions, he can take it up with me
(and I'm sure he would).

> lack of basic research has seriously hampered people's efforts to
> answer them (c.f. previously replies where people have had to
> question you extensively before being able to answer

Bruce and I had a tete-a-tete over the verb-handling thread, and you
now make it seem like it's some historical pattern on my part, which
is rather tough since this list doesn't even have enough of a history
to establish such patterns.

Give me a break.

> Just a thought, and a friendly suggestion.

That's funny.

> Myself, I learn best by experimenting
> with things, and then questioning other people in detail on how
> they solved things I've already solved; I learn a lot from the
> differences in our solutions.

Yeah, that's a great idea, invent your own solution that others have
tried and discovered doesn't work.  I'll go work on that TCP
networking layer for a real-time MMOG now, thanks.  Maybe I'll be
genius and do my own scripting language while I'm at it.

So here's a question -- instead of spending a page of text lecturing
me, why didn't you just point out some "obvious" links to me (which I
haven't been able to find) and politely state something like "A basic
Google turned up these links".

My guess is that the opportunity to be a sanctimonious arrogant prick
was too good to pass up.

Brian