[vworld-tech] Grid/Cluster technologies and MMO server architectures

Jeff Thompson mythrndr at mac.com
Tue Apr 13 11:53:38 PDT 2004

Has anyone looked into using Grid or Clustering technologies for use in
MMO servers. I am aware of butterfly grid but didn't find much meat in
their public documents. I'm currently looking at Globus and the LAM/MPI
implementation.

I'm particularly interested in:

1) fail over schemes for restarting processes and their data on a new
server if the old one is crashed or being serviced (possibly via
automatic checkpointing of processes)
2) schemes for distributing various common jobs such as object
messaging based on local, chat systems, etc
3) any general thoughts from people who have looked into this

Looking forward to any thoughts.

Jeff

Jeff Thompson
CTO, CodeTek Studios, Inc.