[vworld-tech] OT:Dead?

Mats Lidstrom mats.lidstrom at torpet.ac
Thu Apr 1 11:51:50 PST 2004

From: "Ragnar Lonn" <prl at gatorhole.se>
> Well, I've never used Pike but I've done quite a lot of LPMUD programming.
> Is it easy to implement LPMUD gamedriver features in Pike?  Like
> editing/loading code on the fly, rlimit functionality, persistance
> (saving objects)?

The only thing I can't say anything about is rlimit functionality, but the
other things I have to say yes to since I use it myself. Since you know
LPMud coding I suggest you compare to how Pike looks like. It's ages since I
did LPMud coding so I can't compare.

http://pike.ida.liu.se/docs/tutorial/

> What I really want to ask is: if you intend to create a MUD, what are the
> pros and cons of using Pike instead of a "regular" LPMUD gamedriver?

The license and speed I think. The LPMUD gamedrivers I looked into ages ago
were very restrictive to what you were allowed to do. Another pro is that
the Pike team is really working hard to get a very fast interpreter and it's
impressive as it is now and it keeps getting better all the time. It also
got support for many different platforms and the guys really know what
they're doing.

> Cheers,
>
>   /Ragnar
>

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Mats Lidstrom wrote:
>
> > It's past the MUD I started with. I got hold of Pike many years ago and
> > started out with a traditional mud-type code, but I've moved beyond that
> > think. I wrote my own client and I'm currently moving over to 3D. It's a
mix
> > of text and 3D graphics, so it's not a traditional mud nor a 3D game. I
> > still haven't figured out what to call that type of mud/game :) (Any
> > suggestions are appreciated)
> >
> > My experiences with Pike are very good. It's very powerful and fast and
> > there's support for everything from FTP to Oracle database. I even think
> > someone is working on a BitTorrent module. OpenGL is there to if you
need
> > it. Windows version too. Not much to complain about at all.
> >
> > The downside is that there isn't any mud-libs for Pike for newbies to
look
> > at. I don't know why that is, but I suspect it's a tactical move to keep
> > away from the mud-scene. Maybe they don't want to be profiled as a "game
> > driver"? No idea.
> >
> > I just hope that more people will discover Pike for MUD's. If you know
LPMud
> > coding you know Pike coding :)
> >
> > http://pike.ida.liu.se For the curious :)
> >
> > /Mats