[vworld-tech] Straw poll...what are people working on?

Scott Jennings scottj at mythicentertainment.com
Tue Dec 30 07:37:50 PST 2003

Weston Fryatt wrote:

>My approach to an MMOG is I think a little difference than most MMOG that
>are currently out there.  It "seems" that most MMOG run on one massive
>server. (Maybe I'm wrong here) But this way just seems ... Wrong... I think
>a better way of approaching the idea is have several layers of servers.

Your approach is actually pretty similar to DAOC's - although in our
case, we don't have seperate boxes for things like "weather" and "NPCs"
but instead seperate them by world area, with seperate server boxes for
things like databases and logins. I don't have first hand knowledge of
other game's solutions but I gather server clustering is fairly standard
(in fact, I think only Shadowbane tried to shove everything on one box
and it caused them no end of frustration).

Generally, a single point of failure is very, very bad.

--
Scott Jennings
Programmer