[ENet-discuss] Adapt connection message to use 64-bit data field

Nick Wiggill nick.wiggill at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 04:52:06 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to ENet though it's been going great so far.

I'm developing a game where I'm planning to use a 64-bit (non-ISO) UUID per
player.

I would like to ensure minimal traffic / immediate rejection when a client
is blacklisted, so that they cannot hammer the server. The ideal situation
would be to send this UUID in the initial connection request i.e.
enet_host_connect() to the game host, as the "data" field; however, this
field is 32-bit in Lee's implementation, so I am considering forking ENet
and adapting this field for 64-bit. Questions:

(1) Has anyone done this already?
(2) Should it be relatively straightforward?
(3) What knock-on effects might this have on bandwidth management etc.?

Ultimately, is there anything to strongly disrecommend this approach?

Thanks in advance,

--
Nick