[ENet-discuss] Packet assembling and MTU

Syed Setia Pernama syedhs at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 01:43:51 PST 2013

Hi all,

Sorry if some of the questions appear quite 'nooby'.. just can't resist myself.

1) MTU for LAN is normally set 1500 bytes, is it making any sense to increase the value if the application is designed solely for LAN? I searched around but there doesn't seem 'clear' answers.

2) Let say MTU is 1500bytes, sending packet exceeding the value will affect network performance _severely_? Is it really horrible that we have to avoid it at all cost? I am willing to do some compression before
sending it out.

3) Let say I am sending out 5 packets, is it better to assemble those 5 into 1 at application level, or does enet take care of assembly? And if enet does take care of the assembly (from 5 into one), when is it really done? When is it the packets are really sent?

Thank you.