[ENet-discuss] ENet 2.0 most wanted features?

Thorbjørn Lindeijer bjorn at lindeijer.nl
Tue Apr 30 08:51:12 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Doug Warren <dwarren at thebigwave.net> wrote:
> New packet type of best effort last message of a channel:  Any message for
> the channel would be unreliable but if we're sending a packet and the last
> acknowledged received sequence number is less than the last sent sequence
> number for that channel, a copy is sent anyway.  This could be used for
> frequently changing things like position but if there's room you'll get the
> most recent position anyway.

I second this. For example when sending position updates only when the
position changed, it would be very useful if they could be sent
"unreliable" while still guaranteeing that the last update will
arrive.

Though I guess if it is per-channel then one could only do this for up
to about 256 entities. Maybe it would be better if there was a way to
manually mark a sent packet as "stop trying to resend", or in any case
some way to remove / replace it.

Regards,
Bjørn