[ENet-discuss] problem creating enet host

Martin Zemblowski martin at bigheadgames.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 07:34:33 PDT 2012

Hello!
I am using enet library in conjunction with gamespy. I use gamespy to
create socket, connect to lobby, select opponent and do the NAT
punch-through. In next step I close gamespy socket, initialize enet
library and try to create enet host with same port (in my case I pass ip
as empty string) and then start connection to other party. It works, but
not always. I am using three computers right now: pc vista, pc xp and
mac osx 10.7.4. On mac sometimes (not always) I cannot create enet host
(even if i try to create host with different ports, 100 retries), here's
the code:

retries = 101;
enet_address_set_host (&enet.gAddress, ip);
do    {
     enet.gAddress.port = port;
     enet.gHost = enet_host_create (&enet.gAddress , 1 , 2, 0 ,0 );

     if (enet.gHost == NULL)
     {
         printf ( "An error occurred while trying to create an ENet
host(%s:%d).\n",ip,port);
         port++; // HACK
     }
     else
         printf( "host created.\n");
     } while (enet.gHost == NULL && (--retries > 0));

Any ideas?
Thank you!
Martin