[ENet-discuss] Questioning a server without connecting to it

Jay Sprenkle jsprenkle at gmail.com
Fri May 25 08:48:27 PDT 2012

Perhaps I am wrong, but I believed the overhead for a few bytes within a
packet was almost zero.

Here's my logic:

If the packet is smaller than the 1500 byte maximum packet size then the
packet will be enlarged and no additional packets will be sent.
10 bytes / 10 megabit per second = 1 microsecond of overhead to serialize
the bytes.
A very good network latency is 2 milliseconds.
1 microsecond / 2 milliseconds =  0.05% additional overhead in transmission
time

The only additional overhead I see in the game program is the time to
serialize/deserialize the additional bytes.
I can't estimate those since I don't know how your code does this.

If this is wrong, or overly simplistic, I'd be happy to learn where it's
wrong.

Jay

--
---
"There's a zombie outbreak!  Oh, no, wait a second...  It's just a bunch of