[ENet-discuss] Questioning a server without connecting to it

Thorbjørn Lindeijer bjorn at lindeijer.nl
Mon Jun 4 05:08:09 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Emmanuel Rivoire <manu.n02 at laposte.net> wrote:
> It's always possible to predict where the ball will go, as it's
> deterministic, except after our opponent hits it, coz we won't know for sure
> where he sent it before the next 250ms. So here, I need to predict where the
> distant player will aim and as it's not always possible to do it exactly,
> the ball will jerk sometimes a bit between the wrongly predicted position
> and its real position that will be known once all 250ms of input will be
> received.

Hmm, what if you would move the ball a little bit faster for the
player that the ball is flying towards? If the other player receives
the ball 250 ms earlier, then once the local player sees the other
player hit the ball, the information about where the ball got sent is
already available. Basically you could smoothen out the lag over the
period where neither player interacts with the ball. Just an idea. :-)

Best regards,
Bjørn