[ENet-discuss] static linking warning

ingmar wirths ingmania at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 07:41:10 PDT 2011

Hi all,

i'm linking enet statically to my application (with the g++ switch -static),
which gives me the following pesky warnings:

enet-1.3.1/.libs/libenet.a(unix.o): In function `enet_address_get_host':
/home/ingmar/Desktop/enet-1.3.1/unix.c:137: warning: Using
'gethostbyaddr_r' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
enet-1.3.1/.libs/libenet.a(unix.o): In function `enet_address_set_host':
/home/ingmar/Desktop/enet-1.3.1/unix.c:84: warning: Using
'gethostbyname_r' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

This looks to me like it's going to be a problem to distribute my application
in binary form (which i intend to do). Is static linking not recommended?
I guess i won't have this problem when i throw enet directly into my project.
Is that the recommended way?

I don't want to have any dependencies for my application, that's why i don't
want to link dynamically.

Cheers,
ingmar