[ENet-discuss] Bandwidth Monitoring?

Nicholas J Ingrassellino nick at lifebloodnetworks.com
Thu Oct 21 07:21:53 PDT 2010

On the one hand I understand-- and love-- the idea of the minimalistic
approach. Sure, it was designed for games, but if you want a lobby, or
compression, or encryption, you have to implement it yourself. These are
all high-level functions that keep ENet light on its feet and would be
better implemented if trailered for a specific game. Bandwidth tracking,
however, I feel would be best if part of the ENet API. If for no other
reason than ENet can let us know about overhead in addition to the raw
data being sent. Hell, it already reports latency.

Nicholas J Ingrassellino
LifebloodNetworks.com <http://www.lifebloodnetworks.com/> ||
nick at lifebloodnetworks.com <mailto:nick at lifebloodnetworks.com>

"The idea that I can be presented with a problem, set out to logically
solve it with the tools at hand, and wind up with a program that could
not be legally used because someone else followed the same logical steps
some years ago and filed for a patent on it is horrifying."
- John Carmack on software patents