[ENet-discuss] Reliable packets and data sending approaches

Lee Salzman lsalzman1 at cox.net
Tue Oct 27 06:27:17 PDT 2009

Don't rely on the throttle. Choose a reasonable rate to begin with.
20-30 times a second is probably fair. Keep in mind that on average an
event will occur half-way between an interval, so 20 Hz does not
correspond to 50 ms latency, but rather on average more like 25 ms, and
by the time you get to 30 Hz your average latency is like 16 ms. Taking
that up to 50 Hz, and your average latency is only about 10 ms, so
you're making huge jumps in bandwidth usage for very marginal benefits.

Lee