[ENet-discuss] Reliable packets and data sending approaches

Philip Bennefall philip at pbsoundscape.net
Mon Oct 26 13:31:41 PDT 2009

Hi Lee and others,

I have a quick question regarding reliable packets. Say that user 1 sends a message to user 2 on channel 0, and it gets through on the first attempt. Does user 2 see the packet immediately or does ENet wait until the package has been acknowledged? And what happens if user 1 doesn't receive the acknowledgement and then sends the packet again eventually, and this packet also arrives, might user 2 be given the same packet twice?

Also I am wondering about the best way of sending data. I am making a fast paced action game with two players, where speed is of the utmost importance. Is it best to send individual events when they occur, or continuously send the entire player state unreliably? If the latter, how often should I send it? I was thinking at least 40 times a second, as the state isn't larger than some 60 or 70 bytes. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
P.S. I am using the latest snapshot.