[ENet-discuss] 64 Bit project compliation issue

Alex Milstead alex.milstead at gatech.edu
Tue May 5 21:20:50 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm new to Enet usage. For starters, I'd like to say how impressed I am
with the minimalist approach to UDP sockets and client/server connection
issues you've taken. It makes the library very attractive and really
easy to implement.

Unfortunately, however, I've had some issues.

Basic setup: I have a server program running on Linux 32-bit (compiling
and lib usage was EASY here), that runs great.
I also have a client program (for some initial testing) on Windows
64-bit, using Visual Studio 2008 Pro. Oddly enough, following the
instructions to include ws2_32.lib before compiling, then compiling
works great. Switching to a DLL build, however, causes issues.

In any case, I tried out the .lib build, enet builds fine and I can
include it in my project, but I get odd linker errors when I try to
build/run the program, basically to the effect of "enet.lib(win32.obj)
: error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol", referencing the
"timeBeginPeriod, timeEndPeriod, etc..." methods that are called inside
of in enet_initialize, deinitialize, and enet_time_get.

I'm pretty lost as to what to do at this point. I haven't tried it on a
32-bit windows OS yet, but that's mainly because I don't have one
readily accessible. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex Milstead