[ENet-discuss] ENet package broadcasting

Boris bstih at zootfly.com
Tue Feb 24 23:41:30 PST 2009

Espen Overaae wrote:
> Hello, and at the risk of sounding arrogant and condescending,
>

>> Because of our fixed time step, we wait every client to send its input to
>> every one. When data arrives, we update next frame.
>>

> that is a bad idea,
>

>> But the problem is that it takes way to long for data to arrive from client
>> to server or vice versa.
>>

> and that is why.
>

>> So my question is, what could cause such big lag? The data can take even
>> half a second to arrive. When sending text messages, or ping messages it
>> appears to work properly. The data arrives with minimal delay.
>> The size of input data that we are sending is about 120 bytes depends on
>> amount of inputs pressed.
>>

> I assume you're sending the packets over a LAN, since packets over the
> internet often take as long as half a second to arrive. If you are,
> then I have no idea what could be wrong, sorry.
>

> Espen Overaae
>
> Hellow again, thank you for such quick reply.
Hellow again, thank you for such quick reply...

Please elaborate your first statement.

>/ Because of our fixed time step, we wait every client to send its input to
/>/ every one. When data arrives, we update next frame.
/
that is a bad idea,

Why do you think this is a bad idea, do you have any other idea. I know that
our idea is not cheat safe. But we see only this, as a major problem in our
idea. And ofcoarse our code is for LAN only. Internet is another story.

Thank you in advance...