[ENet-discuss] channels

M. Rijks enet at forge.dds.nl
Fri Apr 17 13:21:12 PDT 2009

I'm equally interested in the answers (wasn't yet aware that channel
255 was in use either, I was actually planning to use that channel
myself).

I can only imagine that Enet uses channels of up to a maximum of 255
for one obvious reason: reducing packet size. Each packet contains a
channel identifier, therefore a single byte means a smaller packet
('unlimited' or negative channels would require integers which would
cost four bytes per packet).

As for why a client sets the number of channels - might this be
convenience? The server will need to allocate a set of channels per
client, so maybe it lets the client decide how many channels the
server should allocate at connect time?

Still, I can't link that to channel 255 being used always. Unless Enet
internally adds one channel and rotates the channel numbers.