[ENet-discuss] Channels and ordering

M. Rijks enet at forge.dds.nl
Thu Apr 16 15:14:59 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

A question concerning channels and ordering of guaranteed and
non-guaranteed packets. If I understand Enet well enough, channels can
be considered different queues of incoming packets. Now consider this
scenario: let's assume I'm sending both guaranteed and non-guaranteed
packets on the same channel, and that Enet spends some time receiving
a guaranteed packet (it won't 'give' the packet to me until it is
fully received). What happens for any non-guaranteed packet sent on
the same channel? I suppose the sending end could already have started
to send the non-guaranteed packet, then realizing one of the
guaranteed packets might not have arrived, and trigger a resend. Or
does it stall subsequent packets and wait for confirmation of the
Enet keep waiting for full delivery of all parts (when the packet is
large) before giving me subsequent packets that may have arrived in
between?

All reactions appreciated!