[ENet-discuss] Shooter Game

Bjørn Lindeijer bjorn at lindeijer.nl
Tue Apr 14 06:46:52 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 14:36, ingmar wirths <ingmania at googlemail.com> wrote:
> A shooter game needs a judge, thus someone to decide who got
> hit and died etc. This judge naturelly is the server in a client/server
> architecture. I doubt that a peer-to-peer protocol makes sense for
> a shooter game.

Some shooter games get away with having the client as the judge. I
believe Continuum (Subspace remake) does this by rigidly protecting
the data in memory and encrypting the communication, making hacks very
hard. Another example is the open source BZFlag, where the last thing
I heard (which is some years ago) was that they simply had a comment
in the code that went something like "Yeah, you can cheat here, but
don't be lame.".

In both cases I'm sure the server still adds some sanity checks
though, and the client-side part would be just to reduce the
perception of lag or increase the accuracy.

Moving to pure P2P is a very interesting research concept, and I'm
sure a little Googling will reveal some existing projects and papers
that have been doing something in this regard.

Regards,
Bjørn