[ENet-discuss] Custom memory allocator

Syed Setia Pernama syedhs at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 03:07:20 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have been wanting to ask this, but always keep forgetting until today ;)

Enet has provided a way for you to create a custom memory allocator, so that means instead of 'free' and 'malloc' everytime a packet is created & destroyed, we can instead pull it from a memory pool for an example.
This way, memory fragmentation can be reduced significantly because depending on the app, there could be hundreds of free & malloc pair per second.

I know that this is critical in game console, but I am not sure too sure about PC - anybody can share some story here? Eg performance, stability - or it doesn't matter at all? :)