[ENet-discuss] Ping servers

Martin Sherburn spacedude at konggame.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 16:47:34 PST 2007

I'm using enet for my multiplayer game. I have coded up a master server
which clients connect to to get a list of game servers all using enet. I
was just wondering what the best way to ping the servers is. Clearly the
clients need to do this individually, rather than getting that
information from the master server.

As far as I can see there are two options:

- Client connects to the server using enet protocol, sends a ping
request (or several) then disconnects on receipt.
- Use a technique similar to the command line ping tool.

I would prefer to use the second approach because it means I don't need
to code anything up on the server side. But as far as I can tell enet
doesn't provide any way to make this possible. From what I've read the
ping tool uses ICMP instead of UDP, so why should it? But as this is a
common thing needed for most multiplayer games. I was hoping to find
somebody who has done this already.

I wasn't able to find any c/c++ library with a simple interface to do
this for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Martin Sherburn.