[ENet-discuss] Large data packets over ENet

Tim Auld tim at ratbaggames.com
Tue Feb 1 22:43:06 PST 2005

Firstly, if you follow convention, the process that displays the rendered images is called the client, and the other processes are the servers.  This is because the client asks a server to do some work for it, no matter the relative number of processes.  Really, your client (the renderer with work it needs done) should connect to multiple servers... not the other way around.

Question: do you really mean 650 kilobits per frame, or do you mean kilobytes?  512*384*4 = 768KB.  While it's not impossible to compress that to 650Kb (about 83KB), using something like JPEG, it would probably take quite a lot of time to do that compression.  There's a big difference.  After doing some calculation, I think you could only achieve about 20fps on a 100Mbps ethernet with 650KB frames.

Tim