[ENet-discuss] Large data packets over ENet

Jacco Bikker jacco.bikker at overloaded.com
Tue Feb 1 08:14:40 PST 2005

Hello,

I am writing a ray tracer that renders at interactive frame rates on a
single machine (2Ghz, 5fps). To advance to realtime performance, I am trying
to use several computers to render the image. I tried using winsock/UDP, but
I lack the knowledge to properly implement this, and the result was
disappointing for anything above 2 clients.

So I tried Enet. Implementation was a breeze, but performance is somewhat
disappointing. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, so let me explain what I
do:

-          The server accepts incoming clients.

-          Once at least one client is available, the server sends a 'go'
packet to each client. This packet contains information about which lines
the client should render.

-          The client receives this information, starts rendering, and
returns the result to the server.

The maximum amount of returned pixel data is 512x384 pixels (32bit). This is
about 650Kb per frame. Using Enet, performance is significantly better (but
still disappointing) if I compress the data. Does Enet have problems with
large data streams? Is there a way to optimize this?

- Jacco.